AstraZeneca Research Trust
Scientific Review Panel Advisor
Prof Charles Feldman (MB BCh (Witwatersand); DSc (Witwatersrand), PhD (Witwatersrand), FRCP (UK), FCP (SA),currently serves as Professor of Pulmonology, and Chief Physician Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic Hospital and Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand. He is the Academic Head of the Division of Pulmonology in the Department of Internal Medicine, University of the Witwatersrand, where he oversees the three teaching hospitals attached to the University. In addition, he is the Clinical Head of Pulmonology at the Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic Hospital, and a consultant in the Infectious Diseases Unit.
Prof Feldman is a member of several national and international societies, including the American Thoracic Society, The British Thoracic Society, The European Thoracic Society and is a Fellow of the American College of Chest Physicians. He is a member of the South African Thoracic Society, for whom he has served as President on two occasions, is a member of the Critical Care Society of Southern Africa, and is a member of the Infectious Disease Society of Southern Africa, where he is an Executive Committee member because of his role as the editor of the Journal.
His numerous awards and honours include:
- PV Tobias Medal and Convocation Award for teaching in the Clinical Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand, 1998
- Presidential Award of the Critical Care Society of Southern Africa, 2002
- Elected as an Honorary Fellow of the South African Thoracic Society, 2009
- Granted Honorary Membership of the Federation of Infection Diseases Societies of Southern Africa, 2009
- Vice Chancellor’s Research Award, University of the Witwatersrand, 2009
- FJ Milne Department of Internal Medicine Service and Teaching Award, 2010